Close search

Search the handbook

  • 13 Government Assistance and Income
  • Centrelink
  • Concession Cards
handbook symbol Tasmanian Legal

Concession Cards

Health Care Card

The Health Care Card is automatically issued to those receiving a social security allowance or benefit including those receiving the maximum rate of Family Tax Benefit (A) and those receiving Carer Allowance for a child with a disability.

Parents who have a child with a disability who do not receive the Carer Allowance may be issued with a Health Care Card subject to an income test. Low income individuals and families are issued with a Health Care Card if their weekly income does not exceed the set threshold. Income is assessed over eight weeks prior to claim.

Pensioner Concession Card

The Pensioner Concession Card is issued to those in receipt of a pension, including Parenting Payment (single), from Centrelink or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs. Newstart Allowance, Parenting Payment (partnered), Sickness Allowance and Special Benefit recipients over 60 years of age who have been receiving the benefit for at least nine months will also be entitled to the Pensioner Concession Card.

Newstart Allowance, Parenting Payment (partnered) and Youth Allowance (job seeker) recipients assessed as having a partialcapacity to work, and Newstart Allowance and Youth Allowance (job seeker) recipients who are single principal carers of a dependent child, are also eligible for a Pensioner Concession Card.

Commonwealth Seniors Health Card

A person of age pension age who does not receive a pension may be entitled to the Seniors Health Card if their yearly income does not exceed the threshold set out inĀ section 1071-12.

Page last updated 14/12/2017

Previous Section Allowances and Payments
Next Section Crisis Payment and Rent Assistance