Close search

Search the handbook

  • 15 Immigration Law
  • Types of Australian Visas
  • Temporary Visas – Student, Working Holiday and Medical Trearment
handbook symbol Tasmanian Legal

Temporary Visas – Student, Working Holiday and Medical Trearment

Student Visas

Eligibility for a student visa depends on the applicant’s passport country and the courses of study. The Department has introduced seven streams within the subclass 500 student visa.

  1. Independent ELICOS sector
  2. Schools sector
  3. Vocational education and training (VET) sector
  4. Higher education sector
  5. Masters and doctorate sector
  6. Non-award foundation studies and another sector
  7. AusAID or defence-sponsored sector

It is best to seek advice on the Home Affairs website for details on the student visa or speak to a visa agent.

Working Holiday Visas

This visa intends to promote international understanding for young people by providing opportunities for work in Australia. This visa allows young people aged between 18 and 30 who intend to holiday and travel in Australia to work to supplement their funds.

Working holiday visas fall into two categories – Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417), and Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462). There are a limited number of countries with which Australia has working holiday visa agreements. Some countries fall within the 417 visa and others within 462.

Citizens of the following eligible countries can apply for 462 visas: Argentina, Bangladesh, Chile, Indonesia, Iran, Malaysia, Thailand, Turkey, and the USA. Applications for the 417 visa are open for people from Belgium, Canada, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan, and the United Kingdom.

The 417 visa has consistent requirements. It is for a period of up to 12 months, where the primary purpose is a holiday, and employment is for supplementing the holiday income. There is a non-refundable charge associated with the visa application. Under this visa, a visa holder can leave and re-enter Australia any number of times and study for up to four months while the visa is valid.

The 462 visa has different application requirements for each of the different countries. There are a limited number of visas available to most countries in this subclass. The purpose of the visa is the same as the 417 in that it was for a period of 12 months, there is a non-refundable visa application fee, and the visa holder can study for up to four months, and leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid.

Medical Treatment Visa

The medical treatment visa (602) allows a person to visit for treatment once until the treatment is completed, or as many times as the visa permits, or to visit for study for a period of up to three months.

Page last updated 20/09/2021

Previous Section Permanent Visas – Humanitarian
Next Section Temporary Visas -Visitor and Transit