Close search

Search the handbook

  • 15 Immigration Law
  • Types of Australian Visas
  • Other Visas
handbook symbol Tasmanian Legal

Other Visas

Contributory Aged Parent Visa

If you are the parent of an eligible child (settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen), who is old enough to receive the Australian age pension, you may be eligible for this visa.

Child Visa

To qualify for a child visa, the person must  be a dependent child of a parent who is an Australian citizen, eligible New Zealand citizen or holder of an Australian permanent visa, be under 18 years, a full-time student aged over 18 and under 25, or over 18 and unable to work due to a disability, be single and dependent on the parent, and be in Australia when the application is made and when the Department makes the visa determination.

Carer Visa

This visa allows yo to stay in Australia as a carer for a person who has a medical condition. The sponsor (or the person with the medical condition) has to prove that there is no reasonable access to care options in Australia. As a carer, the applicant has to meet the Australian government health requirement to be eligible for this visa.

Protection Visa

Protection visa is open to non-citizens who have arrived in Australia legally and applied for a refugee or complementary protection visa in Australia. With a range of other eligibility requirements, the applicant should not be barred from lodging a permanent protection visa application. Moreover, the applicant should not have held any visa subclasses, 785, 449, 786 and 790.

Page last updated 20/09/2021

Previous Section Temporary Visas -Visitor and Transit