Close search

Search the handbook

  • 04 The Justice System
  • Legal Assistance
  • Community Legal Services
handbook symbol Tasmanian Legal

In this chapter Expand current chapter list below

Community Legal Services


Community legal centres (CLCs) provide free advice to help people sort out their legal problems, and are often a useful first contact point for people with a legal difficulty. CLCs not only give legal advice, but also work to change laws when they are unfair or unjust, and undertake community edu...

General Assistance & Casework

CLCs offer free advice services, with some doing so in evenings as well as daytime. Some of the centres do not require appointments for their sessions, but it is always advisable to telephone first. CLCs have developed a mode of operation which is quite distinct from Legal Aid Commissions on t...

Community Legal Education

Although advice work is the basis of their operations, CLCs also direct a great deal of their resources to community legal education. This may take a variety of forms: brochures and other printed material (like this Handbook), videos, provision of speakers, dissemination of information via the in...

Law Reform & Advocacy

CLCs also have a philosophy that many of the problems faced by their clients are the result of unjust laws or unjust administration of the law, and that it is not enough to simply deal with these problems at the level of the individual. CLCs have therefore taken up general issues of concern ab...

Hobart Community Legal Service

This service conducts an evening advice service staffed by volunteer lawyers and community workers providing legal advice and referral sessions on Monday and Wednesday evenings between 6.00pm and 7.30pm. The Service is open each weekday from 9.00am to 5.00pm, when its Child Support Solicitor p...

Launceston Community Legal Centre

In addition to general legal advice and referral, this service also provides specialist legal services in Immigration, Welfare Rights, Disability Discrimination and Employment Law.  The last two services are state-wide. The Centre provides counselling and support services for Victims of Crime. ...

North-West Community Legal Centre

This centre has a lawyer who gives advice about a range of legal matters, and provides a limited casework role. Consultations are by appointment, which may be made during office hours. Centre staff are also available to arrange talks to groups on a number of legal issues.

Your Nearest CLC

CLCs operating in Tasmania offer a wide range of services, including free and confidential legal advice and referral. The Hobart Community Legal Service, Launceston Community Legal Centre and North-West Community Legal Centre each offer a general legal service within their respective regions o...

Environmental Defenders Office

The EDO is Tasmania's public interest community legal centre for the environment. The Office assists the public with free legal advice, help with environmental law research, environmental law reform, referral to other groups or agencies and community legal education. See Community and Environment.

Tenants Union of Tasmania

The Tenants Union operates on a part-time basis, and provides a free advice and advocacy service to people experiencing tenancy problems. Telephone advice is available Monday — Friday, 9.30am—4pm (1 300 652 641). Appointments are available Tuesday—Thursday, 9.30am—12.00pm. See Tenancy.

Women’s Legal Service

This service offers advice and referrals to women throughout Tasmania, initially via a Freecall number (1 800 68 24 68). The Freecall advice line is staffed on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 10.00am—12.30pm and 1.30—3.30pm, and on Wednesdays, 6.00—8.00pm, or leave a message at other tim...

Consumer Advice Services

There are services available to consumers through the Department of Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading. Often consumer issues tie in with other areas of the law, such as tenancy. Service Tasmania provides a list of websites, such as the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) webs...

Page last updated 13/12/2017

Next Section Court or Mediation?