Close search

Search the handbook

  • 22 Rights in Society – from discrimination to intellectual property
  • Discrimination
  • Lodging a Complaint
handbook symbol Tasmanian Legal

In this chapter Expand current chapter list below

Lodging a Complaint

Complaints with the AHRC

Where a person believes that they have been unlawfully discriminated against that person can lodge a written complaint with the Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC) (s46P, Australian Human Rights Commission Act 1986 (Cth) (AHRC Act)). The AHRC will inquire into the complaint and try to resol...

Going to Court

If there is an unsuccesful conciliation or a terminated complaint, a person will be notified by the AHRC with a termination notice. A person can then make an application to the Federal Court of the Federal Circuit Court alleging unlawful discrimination (s46PO, AHRC Act). This is an entirely diffe...

Which Act applies?

The RDA section 6A, the SDA sections 10 and 11, the DDA section 13  and the ADA section 12 all outline that the particular Act will override the State or Territory law to the extent that it is inconsistent with the Commonwealth Act. However, where a law of a State or Territory is capable of opera...

Page last updated 14/02/2020

Previous Section Federal Human Rights Framework
Next Section Contacts and Resources