Close search

Search the handbook

  • 13 Community and Environment
  • Family Visas
  • Immigration and Citizenship
  • Other Family
handbook symbol Tasmanian Legal

In this chapter Expand current chapter list below

Other Family

Other family members – meaning anyone except a spouse or partner, or parent. Other family members generally means brothers, sisters, and parents. The applicant would be a non-dependent child of the parent, i.e. over the age of 18. The charges associated with applications range between approximately $4,000 and $5,000, depending on whether it is an offshore or onshore application. For a full list of charges see the DIAC website.

Applying Outside Australia

There are several categories for relatives applying from outside Australia:

  • Remaining Relative Visa (Offshore) (Subclass 115): This visa requires sponsorship from within Australia by a resident Australian citizen, a permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. The two requirements for this visa are: a brother, sister, parent or step-equivalent who is eligible, and the applicant has no other brothers, sisters, non-dependent children, parents (or step-equivalents) other than those in Australia. Partners and other family members may be included in the application, depending on circumstances.
  • Aged Dependent Relative (Subclass 114): for relatives for rely on a relative in Australia for all or most of their living costs, this visa category is available. The three requirements are: being aged (old enough to receive an Australian pension – ages range between 60 and 67, depending on birth date.); financial dependency (see ‘dependant’); and being single – either never coupled, or widowed, separated or divorced. There are a range of benefits associated with this visa, and a range of responsibilities also.
  • Carer Visa (Offshore) (Subclass 116): where an Australian relative needs the care of the applicant for a medical condition. The applicant must be sponsored by the relative or the relative’s partner. If this visa is granted it means the applicant can live in Australia as a permanent resident. This visa class can include a partner or other family members in the application.
  • New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship Visa (Subclass 461) (Temporary): this visa is specifically for non-New Zealand citizens seeking to travel to and live in Australia with a New Zealand citizen who holds a Special Category (444) visa, which is a temporary visa. Applicants are family members who are not New Zealand citizens and are therefore not eligible for the Subclass 444 visa. This visa is valid for up to five years.

Applying from within Australia

The categories for onshore applications are:

Page last updated 02/03/2020

Previous Section Parents and Children