If the defendant is not legally represented they should ask the magistrate to adjourn the matter so that they can obtain legal advice.

Defendants who cannot afford legal advice can seek legal aid through their private solicitor or go to the Legal Aid Commission Office. Defendants can contact the Duty Solicitors who are usually present at Court of Petty Sessions.  There are court volunteers present in some centres. Community Legal Services can also offer limited assistance.

© 2013 Hobart Community Legal ServiceFeedbackDisclaimer